Saturday, January 14, 2012

Training update.

After the Around the Bay ride I took a couple of weeks off all training. A scheduled appointment with the physio got things going again. Having injured my knee in early April I hadn't really done any running since. The physio gave me the okay to start again. As I'd done one or two 3km runs he gave me the all clear to do 4kms and add one kilometer per week. So that's what I did. Over the next month I got up to 8kms, running at about 4:45 pace; a pace I was happy, and very surprised, to be running after six months out. Clearly the riding kept my base fitness in a good place.

As I added kilometers and my knee held up, the idea of doing the Olympic distance triathlon in Feb began to bubble away in my mind. I had some work to do; I've never been a swimmer, and my knee still had to hold up to running. Since then I have learnt how to swim. I have always been a reasonable swimmer - a lap or two of a pool has never been a problem - but swimming lap after lap and breathing on both sides was something I hadn't done and didn't know how to do. Happily, I'm now up to doing 1500mts in a pool reasonably comfortably, and have even done one 1700mt session. Open water swimmming a different proposition.

Having done NOTHING in Decemeber I started the new year the way I intend to live it, with a new year's day run. I did 4kms which was ugly and ended with a vomit on the side of the path. I also finished with a tight hamstring which has severely hampered my runnning in the last couple of weeks. This means I'm way behind in my training for the 10kms I need to run in the triathlon on Feb 12th.

Training for a triathlon is a funny thing. I'm under no illusions that I'm anything but a hack, a plodder, but I am what I am, and I'm the only reference point I need to compare myself to. In saying that, training in three disciplines is fun and challenging, but you feel like you aren't really doing any of them justice. There's only so much time in a week, and even if you can find the time and motivation to train for 5-6 hours, that means you're only giving each discipline a couple of hours. This is barely enough to improve.

Anyway, finally, my new year's resolution is the same as last year; weigh less at the end than I do at the start. Last year I started at about 84.3kgs, and finished at about 81.5ks. Sub 80kg is the goal, hopefully as low as 77kgs. At 77kgs I am technically in the 'overweight' range, 76kgs puts me in 'healthy'. We'll see what happens.

With love,

No comments: